Initial steps on Butterick 5682--Denim pockets

I started on the indigo jeans....  First, I must give a huge SHOUT OUT to Lisa at Sew On and Sew On for her jean pocket tutorial.  I followed her counsel on construction.  The guide sheet takes you a different route.  I used one of the decorative stitches on my machine with a jeans topstitching thread.  I'm not a huge fan of how the thread performs in the machine.  However, I love the look of it.  

Lessons learned so far:
  • Use a woven fusible interfacing on the pocket wherever there might be decorative stitching.  It keeps the thread from bunching and tangling
  • Go slow...decorative stitches are a nightmare to rip out
  • I'm gonna love making jeans!  



Comments

  1. First I have to say, I love this blog! ANd second, where do you get the energy? you sew so much! I am jealous. I have this pattern and I've been sewing a lot of pants lately...so I may just have to make a pair of jeans as well. Thanks for the hint about interfacing on the pockets - it makes a lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog Nothy! I don't think I sew enough.... I hope this year will change that. I will update as I make progress. I'm having fun with the topstitching. The next big issue will be the fit as I move forward.

      Delete
  2. Hi Vita - the pockets look fantastic. I find my embroidary machine is a little tempermental as well, so yes, going slow is really necessary. Love the finished look though. Lisa has given you a very good tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Sarah. It has been so long since I've used any of the embroidery features that I forgot some of the basics.

      Delete
  3. the pockets look great! my machine that I use the most is digital & sometimes has a mind of its own lol I can not imagine making jeans
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so LOVING your pockets! I love to add embroidery to mines too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! These pockets are works of art. I love how you've utilised the rows of contrasting embroidery so effectively!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn... I can see lots of opportunity to try other creative options as well. I can't wait!!!

      Delete
  6. I've had a similar experience with jeans top stitching thread. Double regular thread might be an idea, too.

    SueC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts