Butterick 5682 complete

My first pair of jeans complete!  It was a 3-day project....  I loved every moment of it.





Pattern Description: At waist, fitted jeans; five options--slim leg, straight leg, boot cut, flared leg and straight leg w/hook and eye closure. I cut the boot cut view 
Pattern Sizing: 16-18-20-22 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes! 

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes...I think they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The design is easy to follow and the fit works out great. 

Fabric Used: I used a stretch denim (10 oz). 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: This was my first pair of jeans. Consequently, I cut them a size larger to ensure they would fit. In the end, my seam allowance was almost 2". I realized I could cut the correct size and still have one inch seams in the stretch denim. I followed Lisa's tutorial at Sew On and Sew On to make the back pockets. That worked out great. My blog contains more info on: 
Pocket Details
Zipper Details 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely! In fact, I plan to make several of the views in a few more colors. I also love doing all of the topstitching. However, I'm not a fan of topstitching thread. It jams in the machine and you only get 60 yds on a spool. What a rip off!!! I wound two bobbins and had just enough thread for the pocket details. I might try an embroidery thread next time. Despite that, I love this pattern and appreciate the "rise" at the waistline. Vogue has a similar pattern with a straight leg and boot cut option; however, the rise is 2" below the waistline. Frankly, I'd end up giving "muffin top" a whole new dynamic if I used that pattern.

Comments

  1. I'm with you, making jeans that fit IS fun. I also lined my back pockets and make my front pockets and zipper lining out of contrasting fabric. Enjoy! You deserve it!

    SueC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing.... I'm going to be on the lookout for "funky" fabrics to line the pockets! :-)

      Delete
  2. Are you using top stitching thread in the bobbin? Use regular thread in the bobbin. Your jeans look great. Try this company for threads, they have great prices.
    http://www.cleanersupply.com/products/category.cfm/cid/1097/Gutermann-Top-Stitch-Button-Hole-Thread/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...that's what I was doing (putting topstitching thread on bobbin). I will take your advice. I look forward to trying it again, Vita

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Your jeans fit beautifully and you look great! As BConky said, use regular thread in the bobbin. I match my thread with that of the topstitching and never have a problem. Also, I use a longer stitch (4.0) and a separate machine just for topstitching. You'll have a lot less hassle and save more thread this way! Cleaner's Supply is my go-to store for notions. Their zipper and thread prices can't be beat and their customer service is great. I don't use their website to order because I find it cumbersome; I've had no problems mailing in an order or phoning it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn,
      I think you've started something! Everyone who saw my jeans Friday evening was so impressed. Since I'm not into sewing for others, I was willing to offer a few free lessons...lol! Most were willing just because they wanted to be able to own jeans that fit!

      Delete
  4. Those look fabulous as do you wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I can't wait to make another pair!

      Delete
  5. Great looking jeans! I'm having problems trying to include the Challenge button my blog. I was able to save the image and insert it but it is not active. Do you have instructions on loading the button to your blog?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce!
      Copy and paste the code beneath the picture into the HTML/JavaScript gadget on your blog layout page. You can find it by adding a gadget and scrolling down. Let me know if it works, Vita

      Delete
    2. It is active now. Thank you. I'm busy trying to finish up some pants to post on my blog. Thanks again for hosting the Challenge.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts